Friday, July 30, 2004

ESPN: NFL 2K5

I'd first like to say that, when it comes to football games, I prefer Madden; it has been my number 1 choice for years, and it never fails to impress. However, having heard good things, I decided that I would give NFL 2K5 a try. I was not disappointed.

The graphics are solid, the music is great and the controls are very intuitive. Not too long after I began playing I received a phone call from David Arquette in my "Crib" challenging me to a game. I accepted. For the entire first half of the game I was getting beat real bad. I was getting really pissed off, but then I came back strong in the second half and won. It was one of the best moments I've had in a video game in a long time.

Speaking about the Crib; there is a ton of things to unlock for it by completing certain tasks within the game (think EASports Bio). You can customize nearly every aspect of it. You can even buy barlights, sofas and posters of your favorite NFL teams and players. Then there is Franchise mode, it's not as deep as Madden, but it's so fun it's hard to notice. The options you have at your disposal range from standard Contract Negotiations to running drills and watching game footage of upcoming opponents (though you don't get to actually see them watching it). Not happy with your team's performance last game? Let them know it by chewing them out! This game was definitely worth the purchase.

However, if you still want Madden, it will be in stores in 12 days.

4 Comments:

Blogger Mark said...

David Arquette?

8:00 PM  
Blogger Rodney said...

That's right. When you get a phone call the game will tell you, then you have to go to your Crib and answer the phone. Once you answer the phone you have the choice of accepting the celebrity's challenge. If you accept you play against their VIP Profile. A VIP Profile is saved data that records the way that you play the game, that way if your friends want to challenge you, and you are not around, they can play against your Profile. Anyway, David Arquette is just one of the celebrities that you can play against; so far I've also recieved calls from Steve-o and Funkmaster Flex. Playing against the various celebrities also helps you gain VIP Points, which in turn can be used to unlock Crib items. You can also play against the profiles of all the NFL coaches.

8:22 PM  
Blogger Rodney said...

Thanks.

10:34 PM  
Blogger Rodney said...

You're right about the commentary, but I do feel that, for people looking for something different, NFL 2K5 is a great game for its price. I play the game in the First-Person Football mode, which is something I've never done in Madden.

12:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home